ZZ Topless got a nice mention in the San Francisco Chronicle’s Pink section last weekend, in a feature about local tribute bands. Thanks to Cat People for the tip.
For my own records, a retroactive list of shows from this Fall. Makes this slow Winter seem less idle.
- October 4: ZZ Topless, Starry Plough, Berkeley, with Cat People and Physical Graffiti
- October 5: ZZ Topless at Oaktoberfest in Oakland’s Dimond District
- October 11: Curtis Bumpy at Jupiter, Berkeley
- October 20: Curtis Bumpy at Bernal Heights Fiesta on the Hill, San Francisco
- October 26: Curtis Bumpy at Sonoma Raceway, private function
- November 17: A Secret Rose, Craneway Pavilion in Richmond
Also, on 11/8 I had the honor of sitting in with Will Bernard and his Motherbug reunion at Jupiter. Which was great fun and also pretty funny, because the Motherbug rhythm section was Keith McArthur and Jan Jackson, along with Josh Jones and a keyboardist whose name currently escapes me (sorry, he was great). Also present were Scott Jensen and David Agretelis. And Jerry Kennedy. And Omega Rae. Basically, Curtis Bumpy. For a few songs it was a bit like Will was sitting in at his own gig. Of course, Will melted faces in due fashion. Special thanks to Len Patterson for letting me use his rig.
Usually summer is a slow time for a part-timer such as myself. Strangely, I seem to be semi-busy with gigs this summer so far. Catching up:
- ZZ Topless hit Pine St. Bar & Grill on June 22, benefiting the Tri-Valley Roller Derby Girl Association. That was a hoot.
- Curtis Bumpy played in Corte Madera at Minke Park’s Piccolo Pavilion on July 14 as part of the summer concert series there.
- Thursday night, July 18, ZZ Topless will play with the Blackout Cowboys at Peri’s in Fairfax.
- Friday night, July 19, Curtis Bumpy hits the Jupiter stage once again for good vibes and greasy grooves.
- Saturday August 24, ZZ Topless brings the noise to 50 Mason in San Francisco.
- Saturday August 31, ZZ Topless will break much sweat for the Vacaville Art, Wine & Brew Festival at 12:30.
This blog is more of a record for myself than much of a promotional outlet… which is fine, I guess, so here’s what I forgot to mention.
- ZZ Topless strutted down to Gilroy for an intimate performance at the 9 Lives, appropriately with Cat People. 9 Lives was a great venue, by the way. March 8.
- Curtis Bumpy closed out Michael Parayno’s bon voyage party at his excellent speakeasy/party pad, Birdland Jazzista Social Club on the night of March 15. We were in the 1AM-3AM slot, and had a total blast. Ag had a race the next day so he was represented by Henry Hung on trumpet, who we hope to work with again. Some video of the event can be found on a playlist of mine on YouTube. Here’s a piece of it.
Never really officially rolled this out, but I’ve been playing with this fun ZZ Top tribute thing called ZZ Topless. Had a really fun time playing at the East Bay Rats’ clubhouse/birthday party for a Rat friend (11/3/2012). It was like being a 19-yr old rocker kid again. Electric Sister played after we did, and were everything you could hope for in a hard rock/metal band. Have to check them out again soon.
Anyway, we’re playing at 50 Mason in SF Thurs, Jan. 31. Was supposed to be with Cat People, a Bowie tribute thing, but a death in the family has forced them to cancel; not sure if there will be a replacement band. Trouble with Monkeys opens.
Trouble with Monkeys
Thursday January 31, 2013
50 Mason Social House
50 Mason St., SF CA 94102
ZZ Topless opens for Pop Rocks at the Red Devil Lounge in San Francisco. This will be a great show.
Pop Rocks / ZZ Topless
Fri, September 28, 2012
8:00 pm (we hit shortly after doors open)
Red Devil Lounge, 1695 Polk Street, SF
$10.00 – $12.00
Ok, so I have been getting a little behind on announcing shows on this blog.
- Curtis Bumpy is at the Brick & Mortar Music Hall on Feb 18, 2012, with Afrofunk Experience. We’ll be joined by Latrice Barnett and David James will be pulling double-duty. THIS IS WHERE THE FUNK WILL BE.
- I’ll be at the Rockit Room with another new band, ZZ Topless, on Feb 25, 2012, with Mary Redente, Peter Marietta, Jeffrey Martina, and Peter Libby.
And a couple of retroactive archives to add, as meager as my gigging schedule has been over the last few months:
- Played at the Napa City Nights Festival on Sept 9, 2011, with a new band; tentatively named Hit Play, with Boris Dig, Ben Trumbo, Herman Eberitzsch, and Dave Powell.
- Curtis Bumpy played the 11/11/11 party at Ag’s house.
- Curtis Bumpy (with Omega Rae) just played at Pier 23 on Jan 29, 2012.