Jacki and I managed to score a couple of decent tickets to the Rolling Stones show at HP Pavilion in San Jose. Below is my review — I’ll try not to sound like a rock critic.
This blog is more of a record for myself than much of a promotional outlet… which is fine, I guess, so here’s what I forgot to mention.
- ZZ Topless strutted down to Gilroy for an intimate performance at the 9 Lives, appropriately with Cat People. 9 Lives was a great venue, by the way. March 8.
- Curtis Bumpy closed out Michael Parayno’s bon voyage party at his excellent speakeasy/party pad, Birdland Jazzista Social Club on the night of March 15. We were in the 1AM-3AM slot, and had a total blast. Ag had a race the next day so he was represented by Henry Hung on trumpet, who we hope to work with again. Some video of the event can be found on a playlist of mine on YouTube. Here’s a piece of it.
Never really officially rolled this out, but I’ve been playing with this fun ZZ Top tribute thing called ZZ Topless. Had a really fun time playing at the East Bay Rats’ clubhouse/birthday party for a Rat friend (11/3/2012). It was like being a 19-yr old rocker kid again. Electric Sister played after we did, and were everything you could hope for in a hard rock/metal band. Have to check them out again soon.
Anyway, we’re playing at 50 Mason in SF Thurs, Jan. 31. Was supposed to be with Cat People, a Bowie tribute thing, but a death in the family has forced them to cancel; not sure if there will be a replacement band. Trouble with Monkeys opens.
Trouble with Monkeys
Thursday January 31, 2013
50 Mason Social House
50 Mason St., SF CA 94102
Engine 88’s first two full-length albums are now available on iTunes.
Flies and Death & Stuff has been available there and elsewhere for a while now.
Big thanks to Nick Clift and everyone at Caroline for making it happen!
ZZ Topless opens for Pop Rocks at the Red Devil Lounge in San Francisco. This will be a great show.
Pop Rocks / ZZ Topless
Fri, September 28, 2012
8:00 pm (we hit shortly after doors open)
Red Devil Lounge, 1695 Polk Street, SF
$10.00 – $12.00
Hitting with the Bumpies and a few special guests.
Friday July 20 2012
Jupiter, Downtown Berkeley
8PM / FREE
It’s feast or famine around here.
Stork Club – 2330 Telegraph Ave, Oakland
with Radio Nowhere and MILF
Disco Volante – 347 14th Street, Oakland
Rockit Room – 406 Clement Street, San Francisco
with Bond Girl and Rue 66
Always nice to see that Engine isn’t completely forgotten. Nice mention in SFGate this week in Best Bay Area Bands from the 90s. We’re on page 22, rubbing shoulders with some good company. A nice honor to be included, and as always with lists like this there are criminally-absent bands I can think of like the Mo’fessionals, Overwhelming Colorfast, Van Gogh’s Daughter, the Sneetches, and on and on. Still, it’s fun to page through. http://blog.sfgate.com/loaded/2012/05/21/1990s/
I have not been to more than a couple of open mic/blues jam type affairs, but have wanted to find a good scenario with a high level of musicianship without a lot of attitude. The Pro Jam run by Timm Walker at Vinnie’s Bar & Grill in Concord, CA seems to fit that bill pretty well, and the other night they had a super cool special guest: Tommy Castro. I was fortunate enough to land a slot late in the evening just when Tommy returned to the stage to close out the night, and as if I wasn’t already lucky enough, they picked Sex Machine. Doesn’t get a whole lot more fun than this for me. Tommy Castro on guitar and vocals, Timm Walker on bass, Byron Cage (of Tommy’s band) on drums, Simon Russel on keys and vocals, and yours truly on chicken scratch and shouts.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEl_4AAfkxw
Ok, so I have been getting a little behind on announcing shows on this blog.
- Curtis Bumpy is at the Brick & Mortar Music Hall on Feb 18, 2012, with Afrofunk Experience. We’ll be joined by Latrice Barnett and David James will be pulling double-duty. THIS IS WHERE THE FUNK WILL BE.
- I’ll be at the Rockit Room with another new band, ZZ Topless, on Feb 25, 2012, with Mary Redente, Peter Marietta, Jeffrey Martina, and Peter Libby.
And a couple of retroactive archives to add, as meager as my gigging schedule has been over the last few months:
- Played at the Napa City Nights Festival on Sept 9, 2011, with a new band; tentatively named Hit Play, with Boris Dig, Ben Trumbo, Herman Eberitzsch, and Dave Powell.
- Curtis Bumpy played the 11/11/11 party at Ag’s house.
- Curtis Bumpy (with Omega Rae) just played at Pier 23 on Jan 29, 2012.